An inside look at teens and prostitution in Louisville

Got something to share with the reading public that isn't an action but should be read?

Moderators: delphyne, oneangrygirl, deedle, sam

Postby sam » Fri May 14, 2010 9:04 am

by Mike Whitlow
WHAS11.com
May 13, 2010

http://www.whas11 .com/news/local/Teens-and-Prostitution-93708264.html

(WHAS11) - The average age someone gets started in prostitution is 14-years-old.

Some teens in Louisville are finding new ways to make money at one of the world's oldest professions.

One woman told WHAS11 her story of connecting with guys over the internet, all while no one suspected a thing.

It’s a story about a suburban girl with good grades who got caught up in teen prostitution. She is not what you'd expect; all American looks, a good student and living in a solid family home.

Her story is a warning to parents and young girls.

Teen prostitution is no longer a back-alley business, but still a dangerous game that can start online.

“You just have sex with them and get the money and it was easy terrifyingly easy," says the woman WHAS11 talked to.

This young woman doesn't want us to reveal her identity.

She is now in her early 20s, she started selling herself when she was 16-years-old.

“We would meet guys off the internet chat line, real dangerous situation, and just give them directions to our house to pick us up," says the woman.

It wasn't organized, but she and her middle-class suburban friends found themselves selling their bodies for money.

“In my mind, I didn't really realize it was prostitution. That's not what we said it was, it was just be with this guy because he's going to take care of you," added the woman.

From there it just became a job. Her secret life online turned her from a promising high-school student to full-time prostitute.

“You look at young girls who are 16 or 17, you think they are going to be doing drugs before they are prostituting. It’s just not something that crosses everybody’s mind," says the woman.

Drug addicted with a young child, this young woman continued with prostitution.

“I started doing it again because I needed to take care of my son. I just wanted to do it one time and that one time the money became addicting," says the woman.

After spending a few more years prostituting, she knew she needed something better for her son.

“There is a better way to live. Anything is better than living that way," she told WHAS11.

Sober and now recovering at The Healing Place, an alcohol and drug addiction center.

“This place has really given me my life back," she said.

She's learned why she went looking for Johns online in the first place at the age of 16.

“I look at it now, I just wanted attention because my self-esteem was so low. That made me feel beautiful, when I walked in the room and guys pulled out money," said the woman.

This young woman's story is not unique and officials hope it's not a sign of what's to come. Authorities are already seeing a surge in online prostitution.
"Your orgasm can no longer dictate my oppression"

Trisha Baptie
sam
chaotic good

Return to essays, articles, rants for public view