Oakland Sees Spike In Child Prostitution

Got something to share with the reading public that isn't an action but should be read?

Moderators: delphyne, oneangrygirl, deedle, sam

Postby sam » Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:39 pm

KGO
Dec. 17

A recent prostitution sweep conducted by Oakland police led to 48 arrests -- 8 of them minors -- one, just 13-years-old. The department calls the human trafficking of minors "organized crime" that's making Oakland's streets a magnet for child predators.

Eight minors were arrested for prostitution on Thursday night in this sweep -- 13,14,15-years-old.

When Oakland police arrest prostitutes, they're finding one in ten is underage, with some as young as 12-years-old.

One of those arrested Thursday and incarcerated in juvenile hall is a 17-year-old girl from Sacramento.

Kim Moulton, Girl's Foster Mother: "She's been raped, how was she supposed to act? No one has come to help her, she's being held here, sitting in a cell."

The girl's foster mother reported her missing. Forty-eight hours later she got a call from a social worker saying the girl, an honor student, had been arrested as a prostitute in Oakland.

She's come from Sacramento to see her daughter in juvenile hall.

Kim Moulton, Girl's Foster Mother: "I know [her]. I'm sure every parent says this but I know she wouldn't have just said 'okay I'm just going to go do this,' she wouldn't have. And even if she did, so what? Now she needs help."

'She needs help,' that's a cry you'll hear from all who are watching the spike in child prostitution in Oakland, a trend that has even older street walkers dressing young.

Sarai Smith is the social worker who made first contact with the girl. She says the girls working Oakland's streets are the ultimate victims.

Sarai Smith, Case Manager: "They're scared, they're like 'Ok this person already raped me, beat me, so if I don't do what he wants me to do, then what is left for this person to do but kill me?'"

The corridors along Fruitvale and San Pablo are well-known to police and those who would engage the underage girls.

Oakland police tell ABC7 that there is a vicious pimp circuit running from Sacramento to Oakland that is forcing teen girls into prostitution.

It's a problem for the police, unless they can route the child directly into services, their options are limited.

Nola Brantley, Exploited Youth Program: "Right now their only choice is to arrest for prostitution, the only possible crime they can see them commiting in order to get them off the streets so they don't end up being responsible for a young girl ending up dead in a garbage can."

So grave is the problem that police now have federal money to stop human trafficking. Half of those being prosecuted for trafficking in Oalkand were trafficking in underage girls.
"Your orgasm can no longer dictate my oppression"

Trisha Baptie
sam
chaotic good

Return to essays, articles, rants for public view